Are you looking for a fun and safe way to get your kids around? Electric scooters are the perfect solution.
They’re easy to use, affordable, and keep your child entertained. With one of these amazing scooters in hand, you won’t have any trouble getting your child where they need to be.
Since it’s battery-powered, there’s no need for gas or oil changes – just plug it in when you’re done riding and charge overnight, so it’s ready again tomorrow morning!
It even has an adjustable speed setting depending on how fast your kid wants to go. If you want one that is durable and will last, then you are in the right place!
Continue reading and learn more about these electric scooter models!
What are the best electric scooters for kids?
Here are the top 9 electric scooter models you can choose from that will surely fit your kid’s needs and preferences!
1. Razor E100 Electric Scooter
The Razor E100 Electric Scooter is small and suitable for younger children. The 8-inch diameter pneumatic tires make the child ride smoothly, with 2 12 volt batteries providing the power.
- Comes with a UL-approved battery charger and necessary tools for its easy assembly
- The 100 watts of single-speed, high-torque, and chain-driven model allows kids aged 8 and above a fun and easy ride.
- Featured with a spring-loaded kickstand and hand-operated rear brakes
- A simple kickstart electric motor that can run up to 10 mph
- Has a twist-grip throttle for controlling acceleration
Although it does not have an adjustable height handlebar, it has a wide deck. Kids prefer a wide rack since it makes it easier for them to place their feet on the sides instead of having one foot in front of one other.
2. Gotrax GKS Electric Scooter for Kids
If you are concerned about usability and safety, the GoTrax GKS electric scooter features a system relying on foot placement. To start operating, one foot must be placed on the activation button at the deck’s front.
- It can either be used as a kickscooter or electric scooter
- The brake style is a rear brake
- Has a safe start technology requiring both feet to be placed on the deck before starting
- Built with the lightest frame of 17 pounds, making it easy for kids to carry
- Comes with 6″ solid rubber tires ideal for bumpy neighbourhood streets and sidewalks
- Capable of long riding distance up to 4 miles every charge brought by the 25.2 V battery
Although this model is not fancy or fast enough, GotTrax can be the peace-of-mind choice for parents concerned about the potential dangers inherent in riding scooters.
3. Mongoose React Electric Kids Scooter
The Mongoose React Electric Torque-Heavy Scooter E-Series offers the usual basic scooter idea in 3 different power levels, namely the E1, E2, and E4, so it’s easy to choose the right speed for your kid. Also, these React scooters provide an easy transition from their previous push scooters.
- Designed with 145 mm urethane wheels for a stable and smooth riding experience with the rear foot brake disengaging the motor for safe and simple stops
- Built with a lightweight aluminium frame kickstand for easy transportation
- It can be used as a normal kick scooter in case the battery runs out
- Has a fender brake that is easier to manage compared to other scooters
- Has a wide deck for added stability
- E1 runs at 6 mph, E2 at 8.5 mph, and E4 at 15 mph
The React 2 is simple to use with no frills, so that it won’t require skills for kids to cruise with it. If you think non-complex machines will benefit your kid, this is the perfect scooter for them.
4. MAXTRA E120 Electric Scooter
The MAXTRA E120 Electric Scooter’s removable seat makes it highly convertible, with 4 inches of adjustment in the handlebar and seat height. It is also foldable for easy storage, although it is not as compact as other models.
- Capable of 2 rides in 1 brought by the easily detachable seat
- Has an easily adjustable and upgraded seat and handlebar to allow children of different heights to ride comfortably
- The 6” airless wheels guarantee no maintenance and flat tires
- The hand-activated rear brakes allow total control and optimal braking performance while cruising
- Provides a safe riding experience due to the extra width and length of the 8” no-slip deck
- Can carry riders weighing up to 155 pounds
- Powered by a 12-volt battery, allowing travel up to 1 hour on a single charge
This scooter features a 10 to 12 mph top speed, making it fast enough to provide exhilaration while also being slow enough to ensure the kid’s safety. It also meets EU safety regulation certification, which is a bonus.
5. Segway Ninebot eKickScooter ZING E8
The Segway Ninebot E8 comes in various models to fit a wide age range of kids, and every model offers a different maximum rider weight limit, speed, and handlebar height. A unique feature of this scooter is that it’s the only one that offers safe mode and cruise mode simultaneously.
- Equipped with a high-performing hand brake system that has the EBS energy recovery and rear fender brake function
- Has front shock absorption to provide a smooth ride
- The slim body is designed with aerospace-grade aluminium, making it lightweight and foldable
- Can start and glide without the need of pressing the throttle
- Handle grips are made from easy-to-clean TPR material for a firm grip with great antiskid traction
- The battery system adopts a new process design integrated with lithium-ion battery, BMS intelligent battery control system, and controller
This cruise mode controls the maximum speed by stopping until the child touches the handbrake. In contrast, the safety mode lets the parents set the scooter’s maximum speed to a lower setting to ensure their safety. However, these two modes cannot be used simultaneously.
6. Swagtron SG-8 Swagger 8 Electric Scooter
The Swagtron SG-8 Swagger 8 Electric Scooter is light, fast, and comes in bright colors your kids will love. Its spring suspension allows the best of the small 5.5-inch rubber wheels while the push-button brake counters the speed that the push-button throttle makes.
- A solid, powerful, and whisper-quiet motor that can scooter up to 5 mph for 10 miles in a single three 3 hours of charge
- Has an ultra-durable frame made of aerospace-grade aluminium material that can support users up to 150 pounds
- The 5.5.’’ rubber tires are flat-free and maintenance-free to handle rough pavements.
- Has optimised and smart features for battery conservation through cruise control
- Has a triple braking system, namely the rear friction brake, push-button e-brake, and Autoguard that disengages automatically after braking.
This model is considered the sports car of electric scooter, so save it for young riders under 150 lbs and those capable of riding a scooter that can outspeed the adult models. Keep in mind that this scooter doesn’t allow parents to lock their child out at a higher speed, so use it with caution.
7. Razor Pocket Mod Miniature Euro 24V Electric Kids Scooter
The Razor Pocket Mod Miniature Euro 24V Electric Scooter can be one of your adventurous kid’s favourites as it can go fast as if they are riding a grown-up motorcycle. It can be a comfortable ride when you stick on the pavements and bike lanes added by the soft seat for the kid’s bums.
- Has a twist-grip throttle control, padded seat, and hand-operate brake scaled down to resemble an actual Euro-style scooter.
- The chain-driven and high-torque hub motor can ride at a speed of 15 mph with 40 minutes of riding in a single charge.
- Designed with a small storage compartment beneath the seat for storage of belongings
- Has a kickstand to keep the scooter standing upright and prevents sudden accelerations
- The brakes offer great stopping power.
- Can offer a smooth and slight bumpy riding experience when on grass
This vintage-inspired scooter is a great choice for boys and girls, although it’s more marketed for girls with its retro design. You cannot go wrong with it as it’s the most advanced electric scooter packed with lots of features, from a 15 mph top speed to a hidden storage compartment and rear suspension.
8. Razor Power Core E90 Electric Scooter
The Razor Power Core E90 is Amazon’s Choice for kids’ electric scooters, as it can double the riding time against the original Razor E100 (80 mins versus 40 mins). It’s suitable for shorter and younger kids because of its low handlebars.
- Its rear-wheel drive can deliver better traction and balance control for a more stable and safer ride.
- Has a rechargeable 12-volts sealed lead acid battery for extended riding time up to 80 mins of continuous use
- The airless rear tire provides a maintenance-free riding experience without a chain, alignment, or belt to adjust.
- Additional features include a front brake, hand-operated, and a retractable kickstand.
What makes this model desirable for kids are its lower price and longer ride time after every charge. However, the front plastic wheels are more responsible for the hub motor’s bumpy ride than the chain-driven motor.
9. Razor A2 Kick Scooter for Kids
The Razor A2 Kick Scooter looks like a traditional kick scooter and is significantly lightweight compared to other electric scooters, with a weight of 14 lbs, making it a great first scooter.
- Featured with anti-rattle folding mechanism and patent-pending for easy folding and storage when on the go
- The push-button throttle control can provide an instant connection to a high-torque
- Great for riders weighing up to 143 lbs.
- Can go at a speed of 10 miles per hour brought by the high-torque acceleration
- Only weight 14 lbs., making it easy to use when the battery runs out of charge
- Has adjustable handlebars to fit every kid’s height
This model is a budget-friendly electric scooter on the list. It’s the perfect choice for people and beginners who want to enjoy the feeling of riding electric scooters at an affordable price.
What to Look for in Kids Scooters?
To get a quality scooter, taking note of the factors listed here can help you easily decide on which model to purchase.
1. Weight capacity
All scooter models have assigned age and weight capacity recommendations that should be followed to ensure the kid’s safety and everyone around them.
Many scooters for kids have a maximum weight limit of 120 lbs. Although your kid may weigh less than that, consider that a bag loaded with school stuff may push it beyond the limit.
Electric scooters are expensive, so it’s best to ensure that the model you chose is durable. Even though their design is not complex, it’s not easy to have them repaired when damaged.
Most scooters are made from aerospace-grade aluminium alloy bodies to achieve superior durability. These make them effective in resisting deformation while also being portable and lightweight.
The electric scooter’s design is important because you wouldn’t want your kid to be uncomfortable. So, having an ergonomic design can make the scooter comfortable.
The electric scooter’s wheel should provide traction and better suspension on rough surfaces. Next is, the handlebars should not be too low or high as they can cause discomfort when used for longer periods.
Electric scooters with adjustable handlebars are a good option, and don’t forget about suspension as this lets your child comfortably, especially on bumpy roads.
Lastly, appearance is important because it has to be appealing enough to their eyes to avoid losing interest. It’s recommended to choose a scooter in their favourite colour.
4. Handlebar height
Handlebars are important because this is how your kids will keep control of the scooter. Before purchasing, you can check if the scooter comes with adjustable handlebars.
The handlebars should be right above your kid’s chest height when standing beside their scooter and not while riding it. This way, their ride-on scooter will be stable, and they will feel comfortable without any strain on their shoulders and back.
Safety is the most important thing to weigh when choosing an electric scooter for your kids. Always check the braking systems and material used on the decks.
The electric scooters’ two brake types are electronic and mechanical.
Mechanical brakes use discs, foot brakes, and drums to decelerate the speed. Meanwhile, the electronic brake is powered by a switch or button, cutting off the scooter’s motor power.
However, a great scooter should have both types called the dual-braking system for maximum safety.
Next is the scooter deck that should be comfortable, durable and safe for your kid. Decks must contain a low reinforced structure lined with materials creating comfort and grip like antislip EA foams to remain comfortable while riding on the scooter.
Lastly, it’s safe for kids to wear safety gear and to have accessible accelerators while riding. A well-designed one should have a sensor/throttle secured in a place where kids won’t be required to remove their hands off the T-bar when riding to accelerate.
6. Wheel deck
The recommended size for electric scooter wheels is between 125 and 140 mm when roaming around towns or neighbourhoods to give them enough control and agility.
PU-casted wheels and rubber tires are among the most high-quality and durable materials for electric scooter wheels. Rubber tiers can help with shock absorption and deliver puncture-free rides against various roads with rough surfaces.
7. Battery Life and Power
An ideal electric scooter for kids must have the capacity to take kids to their destination and have enough motor power for hours of electric scooting. It should have a hub motor power of 80 to 150 watts to ride safely and efficiently.
An average of 8 to 8.5 kilometres on a kids electric scooter is a good range great for sunny days outside.
Electric scooters that have speed modes are helpful in the scooter’s battery conservation and allow travelling to longer distances on a single charge.
Furthermore, ensuring your kid’s scooter is equipped with high-quality batteries such as lithium ion-based batteries have low self-discharge, higher energy density, and longevity compared to others. Also, lithium batteries can be easily recharged!
1. Can a 6-year-old have an electric scooter?
Many electric scooters are suitable and can be ridden by 6-year-old children under parental supervision. These scooters usually have a speed of 2 to 8 miles per hour.
There are also electric scooters with a speed of 10 miles per hour. They are recommended by the manufacturers for older kids of 8 years and above.
Because the speed is 10 miles per hour, it can also be suitable for some 6-year-old kids having an above-average physique. No matter their speed, parental supervision is required, and the riding should be limited to parks, driveways, and pavement, considering the young child’s age.
2. What is the best electric scooter for kids?
The Razor E100 model is the best scooter for kids because of its great price and performance tailored to younger riders. It has various colours available, so your kids can choose one that fits their style.
This scooter is featured with a hand-operated front brake and twist-grip acceleration controls. With a max speed of 10 mph, this scooter is fast enough for them to arrive at school on time but not too fast that it can turn into an extreme and dangerous sports territory.
This model can manage up to 40 mins of driving time or about 10 miles of distance. The child rider will enjoy its peppiness as they ride around.
However, the chain drive can be a little noisy. A newer Razor Power Core E100 model can be a quieter ride if that bothers you.
If you want something more stylish, the Razor E100 Glow comes with blue LEDs on the deck that will light up after twisting the twist throttle.
Take note that the E100 does not have reflectors or a bell. So, you can invest in some to ensure your kid’s safety.
3. Are electric scooters for kids worth it?
What makes electric scooters for young kids worth it is they are great alternative modes of transportation. This means there is no need for gasoline.
Kids will learn how to budget their battery using the electric device by charging it. Electric scooters are environmentally friendly as they leave a minimal carbon footprint.
Next is, they are easy to maintain since most electric scooters for kids are made of durable materials and ergonomic design. These scooters can be assembled easily and only require minimal maintenance. Another great thing about such ownership is teaching your kids how to clean and take care of it!
Another thing is they are safe and comfortable to use, especially those made by reputable brands that design scooters that offer maximum safety for kids. The frame a child stands on should be sturdy enough and hard to bend.
Lastly, almost every electric scooter has brakes and hand-operated acceleration. Meanwhile, some scooters have signals and light as extra safety features.
4. Are electric scooters safe for kids?
While electric scooters are made to be safe for children, a few safety precautions can be implemented to ensure their experience is safe.
The pre-ride checklist includes:
1. Checking to ensure the electric battery system is fully charged and ready to go
2. Visually inspecting, there is nothing broken, loose, or anything that can affect the scooter
3. Inspecting the handlebars to ensure they are easily controllable, tight, and can be moved without difficulty
4. Checking the tires to ensure they are not deflated, have lots of treads to grip and are free from obstructions
All these are enough precautions to get them up and run safely!
Have the Best Strolling Experience with Your Kids Now!
With these electric scooters, your children will be able to enjoy their time outside without having to worry about getting tired or hurting themselves from falling off a traditional kick scooter.
They’ll be able to go further than ever before! And because we’re always thinking about safety, these electric scooters come with handbrakes that allow them to stop quickly and easily whenever needed.
These environmentally-friendly vehicles will help keep the environment clean and give your family peace of mind when riding around town together!